New Student Registration
Welcome to El Segundo Unified School District. Listed below are details and general information pertaining to programs, resident requirements/procedures for registration and address changes.
For additional questions, please contact Laurie Meyer in the Educational Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-615-2650, Ext. 1721.
RESIDENT ADDRESS CHANGE PROCEDURES
NOTE – All change of residence notifications must be given to the school district within seven (7) days of such change.
Follow the listed steps below:
Visit the Educational Services Department to establish proof of residency. We are located at 641 Sheldon Street. The office is open Monday through Friday; walk-in are welcomed between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m or by appointment only between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. with the last available appointment time at 3:30 p.m. To schedule an afternoon appointment email email@example.com
All residents MUST have the following documents prior to completing the Change of Address paperwork.
Step 2 (Grades K-12)
Once your residency has been verified you will complete a Change of Address form which will then be taken to the appropriate school immediately or held until the individual school site registration begins for the upcoming school year.
RESIDENT REGISTRATION PROCEDURES FOR NEW STUDENT
For the 2018-2019 school year:
NewTK/Kindergarten Registration: Resident Kindergarten Registration will begin on March 19th through April 27, 2018. By registering during this period, this allows us to ensure time for the purposes of planning, ordering supplies and applicable staffing needs. For those families that move to El Segundo after April 27th, come to the district as soon as you have all of the required paperwork as detailed below.
New 1-12th Grade Registrations: Resident Registration will begin on April 30th through May 25, 2018. For those families that move to El Segundo after May 25th, please come to the district as soon as you have all of the required paperwork as detailed below.
Follow the steps listed below:
Visit the Educational Services Department to establish proof of residency during the above referenced dates. We are located at 641 Sheldon Street. From The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. during this time. Beginning June 18, 2018 the office will be open Monday through Friday with walk-ins only welcomed between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m or by appointment only between 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. with the last available appointment time at 3:30 p.m. To schedule an afternoon appointment email firstname.lastname@example.org
All residents MUST have the following documents prior to completing the Permit to Register paperwork.
Step 2 (Grades K-12)
Once your residency has been verified you will complete an enrollment packet (Permit to Register form and a Home Language Survey) which will then be taken to the appropriate school immediately or held until the individual school site registration begins for the upcoming school year. In addition, you must bring the following documentation for each child you are registering:
Step 3 (Required Testing)
The California Education Code Sections 313, 60810, and 60812 require districts to test students with the California English Language Development Test (CELDT) when the Home Language Survey form indicates that the child speaks a language other than English in the home. Students will be tested once school begins. Parents may not opt their child out of being tested.
Step 4 (On-Line Registration)
After Steps 1-3 are completed, based on your registration date, you will be provided a password later in the summer or if registration takes place after the school year has begun, you will be provided a password on the day of registration, to access the ESUSD online registration system to complete the registration process.
GENERAL INFORMATION AND SPECIALIZED PROGRAMS
Two-Year Extended Kindergarten Eligibility: Children who turn five between September 2 and December 2 will automatically be enrolled in Transitional Kindergarten (TK) per the Kindergarten Readiness Act of 2010 -- a one-year prekindergarten program followed by a year of traditional kindergarten. For questions regarding our TK program go to: Transitional Kindergarten (TK) FAQ.
Traditional Kindergarten Eligibility: Children must turn five years of age on or before September 1.
TK – 5 - Center Street Elementary and Richmond Street Elementary Schools
- Early Bird/Later Gator – TK-2 - A program which dedicates 60 minutes (TK/K) and 40 minutes (Grades 1-2) a day to extremely small class sizes where students benefit from small group literacy coaching, math/numbers support, or enrichment activities geared to individualized modalities of learning.
- Project Lead The Way – This is a program that was rolled out in the elementary schools in 2015 to introduce young minds to the wonders of (STEM) science, technology engineering, and math. STEM is the cornerstone for elementary students to engage in critical thinking, integrate technology and begin to prepare and further develop the skills needed to succeed in an evolving world.
- Integrated Programs designed to develop academic, social, and civic skills through environmental learning gardens, character education, literacy coaches, art & music programs, fitness and technology (iPads, Laptops, Mac Carts, Computer Lab, Smart Boards, Document Cameras), after-school enrichment programs, as well as a rigorous CA standards-based curriculum emphasizing team teaching to celebrate each child’s individual strengths and talents.
- Additional curricular emphasis - Hands-on scientific experiments in state-of-the-art labs, emphasis on Latin/Greek suffixes/prefixes, leveled/differentiated reading instruction, writers’ workshops taught by UCLA literacy coaches, grade level community service projects, beach water safety programs, lower grade/upper grade mentor programs, high school mentor program, student council, peer conflict & resolution teams, and Lakers’ “Read to Achieve” program.
- The Learning Connection (TLC) is a before-and-after school child care program open from 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. available to students enrolled in grades TK – 5. The Learning Connection is fee-based and taught by qualified ESUSD employees who emphasize positive social interactions amongst students. The program is located on both the Richmond Street and Center Street Elementary School campuses. Programs details can be found on the respective school websites.
Grades 6 – 8 - El Segundo Middle School
- International Baccalaureate: El Segundo Middle School is an International Baccalaureate school, a very rare program offered in only one other public middle school in the surrounding region (Eagle Rock). For an overview go to the International Baccalaureate web site, the ESMS web site or download the ESMS IB Information flyer
- Project Lead the Way (Gateway to Technology): An ongoing STEM program integrated through our science curriculum for all students.
- 1:1 Individualized Technology (iPads)
Grades 9 – 12 - El Segundo High School
- Project Lead the Way: 4-year STEM Career Pathway Program for students interested in science, math & engineering offering both the Biomedical and Engineering Pathways or (Download attached flyer)
- CyberPatriot Program: A premiere national defense program designed to inspire students towards careers in cybersecurity, science, math or engineering. http://www.uscyberpatriot.org/about/Pages/FAQ.aspx
- Internships with Fortune 500 Companies: Internships for class credit (Download attached flyer)
- SoCalROC: Transportation and class credits for students attending SoCalROC classes on Torrance campus (Download attached flyer)
- 1:1 Individualized Technology (iPads)
INTRADISTRICT PERMIT REQUESTS
Resident School Choice Enrollment
During one week in May, El Segundo Unified School District offers residents of El Segundo the opportunity to choose where they would like their grades K-5 children to attend school within the District, if space is available.
Parents wishing to continue in their home school need not take any action.
Parents interested in participating in this program for the 2018-2019 school year or those not granted permanent status at their school of choice last year must come into the Educational Services Office at 641 Sheldon, El Segundo CA 90245, and fill out an application.
Applications must be submitted in person on the following days:
Monday, May 7 through Friday, May 11 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
You will not receive confirmation of approval until the summer. For questions, please call Laurie Meyer @ (310) 615-2650, Ext. 1721