Awards and Achievements 2017-2018
What a Difference a Year Makes…
ESUSD Significant Accomplishments 2017-2018
El Segundo Unified School District (ESUSD)
- Achieved the highest high school graduation rate in the region of 98.9% of senior class earning diplomas.
- ESUSD was selected to become a member of League of Innovative Schools. ESUSD was selected from a competitive and national pool of applicants based on its leadership, evidence of results, innovative vision for learning, and commitment to collaboration. Digital Promise sponsors 93 school districts in the League of Innovative Schools.
- Established a legacy or endowment fund with $16 million of Imperial Street School proceeds that will provide ongoing annual revenue for technology infrastructure, deferred maintenance and capital outlay projects.
Center and Richmond Street Schools: Both California Gold Ribbon Schools
- Selected as two of 75 schools across the nation to participate and receive a professional development support system and assessment to focus on improvements in individual student literacy achievement and outcomes.
- Received a grant from the Cotsen Foundation to allow a second cohort of ESUSD teachers to deepen the implementation of Cognitive Guided Instruction in Mathematics using the instructional coaching model.
El Segundo Middle School: Schools to Watch-Taking Center Stage/Gold Ribbon School/Civic Learning Award of Merit/CSBA Golden Bell Award
- Successfully recognized as one of 22 high-performing middle schools in California for the 2018 Schools to Watch-Taking Center Stage designation for demonstrating academic excellence, responsiveness to the needs of young adolescents, and social equity in February 2018.
- Successfully recognized as an Apple Distinguished School for the first time for innovation, leadership and educational excellence from Apple in October
- Selected as one of 12 schools in the nation that was asked to participate in educational research study by Apple in December 2017.
El Segundo High School: Apple Distinguished School/Six Year WASC Accreditation
- Successfully recognized as an Apple Distinguished School for the second time for innovation, leadership and educational excellence from Apple in October
- Selected for a partnership between the California Society of Anesthesiologists, the Dept. of Anesthesiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, and Project Lead the Way, Inc. to support the implementation of the PLTW Biomedical Sciences curriculum. ESHS is fortunate to have been selected as one of three schools in the Los Angeles area for this select partnership in September 2017.
- Selected for the High School of Business Thisprogram is designed to challenge students through accelerated, project-based curriculum in preparation for college-level business administration programs in December 2017. This curriculum will be incorporated into the ESHS Business Pathway during the 2018-19 school year.
Arena High School: Six Year WASC Accreditation
- An Arena High School student was honored at the Association of California School Administrators state conference with an Every Student Succeeds Award.
ESUSD has award winning personnel
- Renee Hoover was selected as part of theSweet Sixteen as a Los Angeles County Teacher of the Year out of 73,000 teachers in Los Angeles County.
- Sean Brandlin was selected as a finalist for Educator of the Yearby the California League of Schools Region 8.
- Bonnie Maye was selected by the California Council on Economic Educationas a 2018 Teacher of the Year.
- Jennifer Tedford was selected to serve on an elite panel of professionals to advise the Getting Down to Facts IIstudy conducted by the American Institute for Research and Stanford University.
- Melissa Moore was selected as Association of School Administrators Superintendent of the Year Region 14.
ESUSD is proud of our business partners
- El Segundo Education Foundation pledged to raise $1.5 million for ESUSD
- Chevron funded a record breaking 68 projects valued at $65,000. Chevronalso donated an additional$30,000 to help completely fund all remaining classroom projects in El Segundo Unified School One of the more significant projects was dedicated funding for weight room equipment for the high school athletics.
ESUSD is proud of our students!
- FiveESHS students earned Letters of Commendation from the National Merit Scholarship. Commended students placed in the top 50, 000 scorers of more than 1.6 million students who entered the competition and received recognition for their outstanding academic promise.
- Boys and Girls Cross Country runners both went to state CIF finals. The Boys team was awarded fourth place and the Girls’ team earned third place.