Most Noteworthy Accomplishments 2014-2019
El Segundo Unified School District
- Passed a $92 M General Obligation Bond Measure to improve school facilities and technology (2019).
- Finalized Joint Agreements with City of El Segundo for future use of the Aquatics Facility (2019).
- Established a legacy or endowment funds with $16M of Imperial Street School proceeds that will provide ongoing annual revenue for technology infrastructure, deferred maintenance and capital outlay projects (2017).
Twenty Awards From Outside Agencies
- Successfully earned recognition as a California Distinguished School: ESHS (2019).
- Successfully earned three Gold Ribbon Schools: ESMS (2015), CSS & RSS (2016).
- Successfully earned Exemplary Arts Program: ESHS (2019).
- Successfully earned Schools to Watch- Taking Center Stage Award: ESMS (2018).
- Successfully earned a Green Ribbon School – Bronze Medal: CSS (2018).
- Successfullyearnedtwo GoldenBellAwards:Bio-medical Pathway (2018) and International Baccalaureate (2015).
- Successfully earned two California Civic Awards of Merit: ESHS Civics Day (2019).
- & ESMS Community Service Project (2016).
- Successfully earned distinction as a California Democracy School: ESHS (2019).
- Successfully earned three Apple Distinguished Schools for Innovation, leadership and educational excellence from Apple: ESHS (2015/2017) & ESMS (2017).
- Successfully earned two six year WASC accreditations: Arena (2014) & ESHS (2015).
- Earned license status for Eagles’ Nest Preschool (2015).
- Earned two Model School Attendance Review Board recognitions (2016 & 2019).
- Adopted the Graduate Profile and began to align practices to achieve student attainment of profile competencies.
- Completed training faculty teams in the Yale Institute for Social Emotional Learning’s RULER program.
- Selected to become a member of the League of Innovative Schools (2016).
- Successfully completed a two day comprehensive re-evaluation visit for International Baccalaureate that contained numerous commendations: ESMS (2019).
- Ranked first among South Bay region public high school on the CAASPP results: ESHS (2018).
- Ranked in the top 5% of high schools in California and the nation by US World Report: ESHS (2019).
- Achieved the highest high school graduation rate in the region of 98.9% of senior class earning diplomas (2018).
- Expanded Arena program model to provide increased access and more comprehensive support, including hiring a special education teacher and utilizing agency therapists (2019).
- Selected as two of 75 schools across the nation to participate in Learning Ovations A2i to support increased literacy skill development (2018 to present).
- Received two grants from the Cotsen Foundation to deepen implementation of Cognitive Guided Instruction in Mathematics (2015-2019).
- Selected for partnership between the California Society of Anesthesiologists, UCLA, and Project Lead the Way to support implementation of the PLTW Biomedical Sciences curriculum (2017).
- Increased library services from four days to five days per week (2015).
- Implemented a one-to-one iPad initiative at secondary schools (2014 to present).
- Infused Chrome books into third through fifth grade (2017 to present).
- Successfully implemented Project Lead the Way elementary through high school (2015 to present).
Thirteen Exceptional Employee Recognitions
- One teacher was a Los Angeles Teacher of the Year (CSS 2017).
- Two teachers wereselectedaspartofthetop25LosAngelesCountyTeachersoftheYear out of 73,000 teachers in Los Angeles County (ESMS 2014 & ESHS 2018).
- One teacher was selected as a Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics and Science (ESHS 2015).
- Five classified employees were selected as Los Angeles County Classified Employees of the Year (CSS & RSS 2015, RSS & DO 2016, & ESHS 2017).
- Four administrators were selected as ACSA Region 14 Administrators of the Year (2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019).
El Segundo Education Foundation Grant Increased
- From 2014 to 2019, El Segundo Education Foundation increased pledge from $1M to $1.8 M.