FIRST GRADE FAMILY READING NIGHT
Submitted by Lisa Haun, Reading Specialist, Richmond Street School
On the evening of Thursday, November 8th, first grade students from Richmond Street School donned their pajamas and returned back to campus for a fun-filled, family reading night. First grade teachers, Mrs. Loye, Ms. Smith, Mrs. Lister, and Ms. Maisonet, hosted an interactive, educational night for students and their parents. The goal was to promote the love of literacy, as well as give parents helpful suggestions to take home. The well organized event had the families rotating to three rooms: Word Play, Reading Comprehension, and Writing. The first grade teaching team planned out numerous hands-on activities that had students and parents learning alongside one another.
There was an impressive turnout and smiles were abundant as the families enjoyed a very special evening together. Everyone took away something valuable to utilize - regardless of reading level or ability. The kids loved the engaging activities presented by their enthusiastic teachers (all dressed in matching jammies). The parents were grateful for new tools to try and for quality time to spend with their children. Here are what some of them had to say on the concluding evaluation form in response to the question, “What did you like about this evening?”
· “Excellent suggestions and ideas to work with at home.”
· “Learning different ways to make learning fun. The Smart Board is cool!”
· This was awesome. Thank you teachers. I loved it! What a fun way to learn!!!”
· “Very informative. I enjoyed the parent-teacher-student interaction.”
· “Learning questions to ask when I read and seeing how the teacher demonstrated it.”
· “Seeing all the teachers in action. Learning about new approaches to teaching/learning reading and writing.”
· “It was so much fun. I especially enjoyed the reading/spelling games in the Word Play room and reading with my son.”
· “The learning activities were fun and varied. The pace was good. Loved the interactive activities.”
· “Everything! This is such a great event that you guys put on! Thank you!”
· “It was an opportunity for parents to understand what children do at school, a way to get to see teachers and also learn to help our children learn.”
I applaud our first grade team for a fabulous evening of literacy, and a huge thank you to the parents for taking time out of their busy schedules to partake in something so meaningful.